Winter is all about snow for us….sliding it, digging it and trying to find it! Our speciality is teaching and guiding on skis or splitboard from the Aviemore area and beyond.
Scottish winter touring is amazing, the changeable, challenging weather and snow conditions ensure that off piste in Scotland is always an adventure.
Join us this season to either improve skills or just get out with a guide and let us do the navigation and avalanche bit.
We think this is the most fun and efficient way to explore Scotland’s winter mountains.
We are flexible with learners needs however our weekends fall into two broad categories Introduction and Intermediate.
Open to ski, telemark and splitboard clients.
Little to no touring experience but comfortable linking turns on blue ski run terrain in all conditions
- Intro to equipment
- Avalanche awareness including transceiver search within range
- Route planning and navigation, weather, avalanche and snow conditions
- Skiing or snowboarding skills for different snow conditions
Some touring experience and comfortable on red run terrain in all conditions
- Equipment refresher and limitations
- Avalanche refresher, transceiver search out of range
- Team digging avalanche rescue
- Steeper terrain up and down
- Bad weather navigation tips including altimeter
January 5th and 6th 2019 (Intro touring weekend)
February 2nd and 3rd 2019 (Intro touring weekend)
March 2nd and 3rd 2019 (Intro touring weekend)
April 6th and 7th 2019 (Spring touring for all)
Or choose your own dates, a guide can be booked for any day we have snow.
Come hone the essential avalanche avoidance skills for safe mountain travel. This course is aimed at anyone who travels through snowy terrain in the mountains either in Scotland or overseas. We aim to run these courses on backcountry skis or snowboards, however we can run these for walkers and mountaineers on foot as a separate course.
A one day introduction would cover
- weather and avalanche forecast interpretation
- safe route planning
- Snow observations on route and how they effect our route choices
- Pit profiles and slope testing
- Transceiver use and searches
- digging techniques
December 8th 2018
January 12th 2019
Or choose your own dates.
Performance Freeride clinic
On these coaching days we develop your off piste riding or skiing skills to help you get the most out of the variable terrain and conditions. These days will be based at a ski area for maximum coaching time and may consist of
- control of line and speed
- variable snow types and adjusting style to suit
- A short tour away from ski area
These courses are available to book at anytime throughout the ski season.
Learn essential skills for exploring the Scottish hills in winter on foot. A typical two day course should cover the following
- Moving on snow and ice
- Crampon use
- Axe skills, step cutting and ice axe arrest
- Emergency shelters
- Avalanche awareness
We have no dates for these in winter 2018/2019 however these can be booked as needed.
All courses are £65 per person per day or £240 per day for private booking for up to 3 people.
Private Guiding is also available any day throughout the winter season
Call: 01540 651784